Cox Enterprises is built on more than a century of public service and corporate responsibility. The company got its start in 1898 in Ohio, when James M. Cox bought the Dayton Evening News. The company has been family owned for more than 100 years.
After serving three terms as governor of Ohio and making a run for the U.S presidency in 1920, he moved into broadcasting in 1934, establishing Dayton’s first radio station, WHIO. In 1939, impressed that Atlanta was “progressing more than any city in the South” despite the Great Depression, Governor Cox bought The Atlanta Journal, and the region’s first radio station, WSB. He reorganized operations and increased his focus on public service and innovative programming.
Today, Cox Enterprises is a leading communications, media and automotive services company with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 50,000 employees. Our major operating subsidiaries include Cox Communications (cable television distribution, high-speed Internet access, telephone, commercial telecommunications and advertising); Cox Automotive (automotive-related auctions, financial services, media and software on four continents); and Cox Media Group (television and radio stations, digital media, newspapers and advertising sales rep firms).